The Reproduction & Pairing Service is recommended when it is technically impossible to adjust the size of a piece of jewelry or to repair it, or if one of the elements of a pair has been lost.
Performed by a Cartier specialist jeweler, the Reproduction & Pairing Service includes the following:
- the diagnosis;
- reproduction: this varies according to the nature of the piece of jewelry and how it was originally made. In order to reproduce the model of your piece of jewelry as faithfully as possible, the Cartier jeweler will apply the following strict procedure:
- the archives of the Maison Cartier will be consulted to find the original design of the model and the corresponding mold;
- the metal from the piece of jewelry will be cast in the mold;
- the different parts of the piece of jewelry will be assembled by soldering;
- the stones will be set;
- the individual number and Cartier signature, etc., will be engraved;
- the piece of jewelry will be polished, using brushes saturated with three different abrasive pastes, until a dazzling surface is obtained;
- the piece of jewelry will be cleaned, particularly its less accessible parts, by immersion in an ultrasonic tank filled with lukewarm soapy water. All jewelry creations may be subjected to ultrasound treatment, except for those containing emeralds, pearls and certain other gems that are considered too delicate.
- rhodium plating: to reinforce the whiteness and brilliance of white gold, it is sometimes covered with a fine layer of rhodium, a rare precious metal of the platinum family. This operation consists of the following stages:
- before polishing, the remaining layer of rhodium is removed so as to obtain a naked surface to which the new layer can be applied;
- after polishing, the immersion of the piece of jewelry in a rhodium bath to deposit a new fine layer of metal on the surface of the white gold.
- a technical and aesthetic inspection is carried out in accordance with Cartier quality criteria.
Please note that during the polishing process a fine layer of metal is removed. This is why we recommend you not to have this service carried out more than twice in the lifetime of a piece of jewelry made of white or yellow gold. It should also be noted that certain deep scratches cannot be removed. Please also note that it is technically impossible to polish white gold so as to give it a black finish.